Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pop, Pop Popcorn

Would you say that a person is either a popcorn lover or a chip lover? Well, I love popcorn. Not that I don't eat chips...I do. I just prefer popcorn and that's been the case since I was little. I love 'em savoury and I love 'em sweet. Have you ever had glazed popcorn? They are to die for! They have so many layers of depth (you'd think I was talking about a gourmet dish or something). Crunchy, sweet, hint of salt. To me, it is a true amuse-bouche. And looking at them is like snowflakes: no two are identical.

My love for these popped corn kernels led me to purchase the Theatre II Popcorn Popper. It's very similar to the Whirley Pop.

I've had it for more than 10 years but have only recently started using it more. It is very easy to use. All you have to do is preheat the popper over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp oil, a pinch or two of salt, and a 1/4 C of corn kernels. Crank slowly until popping slows down to 1 pop every 2 seconds and remove from heat. Pour into bowl. I had only one unpopped kernel and it tastes way better than air-popped and microwave popcorn. This is the basic recipe and you could taste the sweetness of the corn. Perfection. If I get adventurous, I will try making other flavours.




















In Canada we have a popcorn store called Kernels. If I could have it everyday, I would be happy, and I would be poor. Check out what my kids got the last time we were at the mall (thanks Auntie R). It's called Bahama Mama. It is their latest flavour. I've never liked rainbow coloured popcorn or even ice cream for that matter. It's so kid-like and usually reminds me of fake bubblegum taste. But I must say this one is delicious and I would buy again. Each colour has a different flavour, some even remind me of various Kool-aid flavours.


So are you a popcorn lover or are you a chip lover?

1 comment:

Screamin' Mama said...

Hmmm....I've got a hankering for popcorn now...thanks...

The Kernels popcorn looks very strange. I'll take your word that it's yummy...I'm sure the kids would love it.