Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Oatmeal

I remember the first time I had oatmeal. It was over 10 years ago when I had hired a trainer and he gave me a meal plan to go with my training and oatmeal was the first thing I had to eat in the morning. My first attempt was anything but delicious. One-minute oats mixed with hot water with a pinch of salt. Well, I was a good sport and I stuck with it for a while and you know what? I eventually got used to the texture and the taste but I still wouldn’t say that I liked it one bit. After 2 months though I’d had enough of the bland stuff and went back to eating the way I did before the meal plan. I wanted flavour. I wanted texture. I wanted variety. I wanted yummy stuff.

A few years later I started eating oatmeal again. Once again, one-minute oats mixed with hot water (no salt). I just ate it out of the comfort of not having to think about what to have for breakfast. What could be easier? All I had to do was scoop 1/3 C of oats with hot water from the water cooler and let it sit until the water was absorbed. I enjoyed them much more than I did way back then. But then I stopped eating it when I got married and had kids. With the lack of sleep and time, eating breakfast was the last thing on my mind and I would eat mindlessly all day long.

Last year I ventured into blog reading and I came across Kath Eats. She loves oats so much so that she even did a tribute. I never knew that oatmeal could be jazzed up except for when you purchase them in boxes of instant packets of flavoured oatmeal which I never liked. So I’ve tried her banana oatmeal and I use it as a basis for oatmeal. Here’s my favourite combo:

1/3 C large flake oats
1/3 C water
1/3 C milk
1/2 ripe banana

topped with:
1 Tbsp dried cranberries
1 Tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips (blooming from being in the pantry too long)
1 spoonful natural almond butter

This bowl is so satiating. I find that if I have a bowl of oats for breakfast my sugar cravings are controllable for the rest of the day, which is a good thing, especially when there are still Halloween candies laying around.

6 comments:

chow and chatter said...

oh nice variation on oatmeal

Spoon It On said...

Mmmm... This sounds SO good! I have never put anything else except for sugar and milk! I think I'll try this tomorrow morning.

Broth Don't Lie said...

Hi,

I just wanted to inform you that we've put together a list of Canadian
food blogs and have included yours. Please have a look and let us know if
you'd like any information to be changed. When you have a minute come check out other Canadian blogs like yours! Link: http://www.pho411.ca/blog/list-of-canadian-food-blogs/

I'd like to take this time to also ask for your support by adding us to
your blogroll or links section, if you have one. That would be very much
appreciated! We are: Broth Don't Lie http://www.pho411.ca/blog/

About Broth Don't Lie: BDL is a blog about Vietnamese food. We aim to
inform all Canadians about different Vietnamese dishes that they could try
at their local Vietnamese restaurants. We also have a goal of reviewing all
Vietnamese restaurants in Canada. We hope to put together a database of
restaurant reviews that all Canadians could refer to when they feel like
trying a Vietnamese restaurant. If you are interested in lending us a hand
with this project, please feel free to contact us.

-Pho411 Admin (admin@pho411.ca)

Anonymous said...

I don't like oats and I'm sorry, but the photo doesn't entice me either.
Maybe you can try to convince me by making it for me this summer sometime. BTW, congrats on being put on the list for the above blog. Do you know anything about Vietnamese cooking?!

Restaurant Brugge said...

good recipe thanks

Soya Products said...

This is nice recipe. I am loving it. Oatmeal is very healthy & nutritious meal. Thanks for this sharing.